Friday, March 12, 2010
Scotch Eggs, With Toppings- My Way!
These are my version of a Scotch egg...Normally these would be deep fried with a light bread crumb batter, but in the years I have been making them, I prefer to roast them sans batter. I do mix bread crumbs into the sausage as an aid to "bind" them with a bit of seasoning and liquid.
1. Hard cook 4 large eggs, until cooked through
2. Peel, and cool
3. 1lb. bulk sausage, your favorite flavor
4. Pack each egg in 1/4lb. of the sausage, like it was a snowball!
5. Bake at 350F on an oiled shallow rack for 20 minutes, turning the egg gently over, baking another 20 minutes.
6. Cut carefully in halves or quarters when cooled slightly
7. May be served hot or cold, with sauces of your choice, or plain
This is a popular appetizer, or a quick breakfast..guys hunting insist I bring a lot of them to deer camp!
Hope your snow is gone, and a have a great week-end!