Saturday, April 17, 2010
Riddle Me This: How Do You Have A Turkey Strata With No Turkey Meat?
The answer of course, is that you use turkey eggs! I scored some turkey eggs ( free range!) and as you can see by the photo, they are huge! Poor turkey- it would be like a human trying to crap a watermelon! I read up on them, finding to my surprise they won a taste test turkey vs. chicken egg...They they had a different but superior flavor to chicken eggs,and averaged 1.5 to 2 times the size! They are a beautiful egg, speckled and more, well, egg-shaped! I decided to make a strata from them- recipe as follows..
1. Chop 8oz. of high quality ham into 3/8" square cubes.
2. Chop sweet onion and fresh mushrooms, saute in butter until nearly dry.
3. Cut sharp cheddar into cubes same size as ham.
4. Cut 8 slices of white bread into cubes.
5. Scramble 5 turkey eggs with 1-1/4 cups of milk, seasoned with black coarse pepper, salt and savory to taste.
Take 9 x 13 pan, greased, and layer half of bread. Spread all ingredients except egg mixture over bread, then layer rest of bread on. Pour egg mixture over all. Bake at 350F for 40 minutes, loosely cover with aluminum foil, bake for another 20 minutes until toothpick comes out fairly dry.. Sausage or bacon could be used instead of ham, if you wish!
Don't be put off by using an egg like this- you will be pleasantly surprised!
P.S.- For the less adventuresome, use 8 ex-large chicken eggs instead of 5 turkey eggs..Chicken!!!