Ad

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Teleconferences:How Humans Should Not Communicate!

Yesterday, I got to "participate" in a teleconference. Definition of this is apparently; The most important person(the boss) talks and everyone else listens or agrees. A meeting without body language or observing the attendees reactions is worthless- a memo would have served the same purpose. We as a species have never had more tools to communicate with- and have never been worse at it. When was the last time you wrote anything in longhand, besides signing a note, or card? The handwriting 100 yrs ago was better than ours, mainly because it had to be! With our new technology, we may be losing something we might need again someday.

4 comments:

Lynda said...

I keep a journal which I write in long hand. But, I don't use it all the time, and sometimes I write so fast my hand cramps up.

And I have very neat handwriting. This is not only my opinion but a few others as well. I hope you don't think I am a rectum for saying so. :)

Lynda said...

But I do agree that handwriting is becoming a lost art. :(

Matthew Iverson said...

My office is increasingly siphoning off their resources to Seattle, so they can be closer to Microsoft, our client. I am being managed by people that I've never even met before. It's a very strange thing. And it only works so long as they leave me the hell alone until it's absolutely necessary. They haven't picked up on this, and incude me in their ridiculous teleconferences, where I lie and say that everything is great, nothing is wrong, I'm very happy, and everything will be on time.

buffalodick said...

Space cadet: Where you got those kind of brains-well, they're not from my gene pool! I still try to save people that don't know they're going to be in deep shit soon, and end up getting in trouble for it!