Sunday, January 04, 2009
Is It A Side Dish, Or A Meal...
Ever since New Years Eve, the tastes buds and appetites have been a bit off.. Happens every year! I have mentioned before, my wife and son love potatoes. I have also mentioned I took 2nd place in this years State of Michigan BB-Q Potato category, with a twice baked potato. Would you believe I've never made them for my own family? Well, today that all changes! I have some massive Russet potatoes, and all the goodies used to create these for dinner. A side of veggies will go along with the "meal in a skin", and we're calling that enough for a meal! I think I'll include the recipe today, if anyone out there wants to know how easy this is...
1. Four large (1LB.) Russet potatoes, scrubbed, rinsed, sprayed(or rubbed!) with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
2. Bake in oven at 375F for 45 minutes, turn, spray again, and bake for 45 minutes more. I don't stab or wrap them- skins come out better!
3. Fry 6-7 strips of bacon until well done(crumbly)while potatoes baking. Have 8 oz of shredded cheddar cheese ready also.
4. When potatoes are done, cut a thin layer of skin off the top, discard. Carefully scoop out cooked potatoes, placing in bowl for mixing and mashing. This will leave you with 4 hollow skins- to be refilled with potato mixture.
5. Mash potatoes with 4oz. of sour cream, and 4 oz of butter, adding milk if too stiff. Onion and garlic powder to taste.
6. Refill skins with mixture and bake for 10 minutes at 350F
7. Remove from oven, top with cheddar cheese and bacon, which has been crumbled.
8. Bake again until cheese melts, top with sour cream and chives if desired- and serve!
Freezing rain/snow mix going on outside, so no outside activities planned today!