Ad

Sunday, April 01, 2007

A Lash At Candymaking-For The Adult Palate...

I have only dabbled in simple candy making, but it is my intent to become proficient at it someday. A good friend of mine has made candy making his main hobby, and I'm sure I'll be doing some as his apprentice(for awhile) someday! Today, I took some milk chocolate chunks (2lbs) and melted 3/4 of them in a double boiler, while I microwaved the remaining 1/4. Why you ask? To see which method worked best! The microwave won out because of speed, less mess, and a more controllable liquid consistency. I then mixed chopped dried sweetened cranberries and chopped walnuts into the chocolate and spread it out over wax paper sitting on a cookie sheet. It is firming up in the refridgerator as I write this. I did sneak a sample and the cranberry/walnut thing with the milk chocolate is definitely going to work! Remember the "Chunky" candy bar? Milk chocolate, raisins, and nuts in a thick piece. Sorta reminds me of them, only cranberries rule over raisins!

10 comments:

Lynda said...

Sounds good, even though I am not particularly fond of cranberries.

pinknest said...

mmmm sounds delicious! and i have a bunch of cranberries and a ton of chocolate that i've been wanting to use up so thanks for the inspiration.

i once took a candymaking class ages ago and i loved it and loved using all those molds. i've wanted to get back into it too!

Malnurtured Snay said...

So you can make all the skittles you could ever possibly want?

S* said...

Raisins ruin candy. They're gross. I love craisins.

Christo Gonzales said...

sounds great now mix a little unsweetend butter and some cream and you have a ganache...

snowelf said...

I love craisins! I eat them in my salads and as a snack with pecans or almonds all the time.

I never even thought about mixing them with chocolate...

Remember me during the holidays! ;)

--snow

Michelle Ann said...

Buffalo, you made bark! One of my favorites. As long as you have high quality chocolate, you are ahead of the game!

buffalodick said...

Lynda-Cranberry/Walnut is a well tried combo in cookies,dressings,etc. Ifigured w/chocolate, I couldn't miss!
Pinknest-Tell me what you do with it!
MalS- I wish I could make the sour ones!
S* I really like dried cherries, but the cost is about double!
DogB- I saw Emeril do that for his Easter dessert...
A girl who didn't think of mixing something with chocolate? Yeah, right!
Michelle Ann- I guess it sort of was. Never made bark with fruit though...

Helene said...

you must be a patient man! I have tried candy making.. but cant be bothered with the double boiler so microwave the chocolate and always burn it... I think I just need to continue to BUY mine! Can you make something like TWIX and send it to me? =]

buffalodick said...

Kate-Microwave full power for 30 seconds, then again, and again. Keep checking every 30 seconds, and it comes out great!