Ad

Saturday, June 09, 2007

A Road Trip, Prep And Cook Day Today

We just got back from our tri-annual trip north to Birds' Market. As usual, packed with rural and cottage dwellers stocking up on the meat deals. Saturday morning is the worst time of the week to go here, but we knew that when we headed out. Half the fun of the place is people watching, while you wait your turn at the meat counter(avg 25 min.). Outlying areas always have had a mixed bag of super poor,poor, farmers, and well off people living on some lake in the area. Large women, missing teeth, with cheap tattoos, tanned, good looking women in designer beach wear, little kids who already need a bath and it's 10am, and working men hauled along to help lug stuff home on their day off. Darn near every one of them is friendly-at least when we talk to them. I bought the usual mix of beef and pork, scoring a whole beef tenderloin for $10.95 a lb. Came home, trimmed and cut it into steaks, then vaccuum packed it.
Next on the agenda is to get the white chocolate cheesecake I made out of the spring form pan, and vaccuum pack that before freezing it. I need the pan for the Creme de Menthe cheesecake I have to make that will go to the same party as the white chocolate one. Always something, isn't it?

12 comments:

snowelf said...

The trip to Bird's actually sounds very entertaining! What an interesting mix of people from all walks of life...

mmm, cheesecake! I made some banana bread yesterday and between the chilis and I, it went FAST!

--snow

Anonymous said...

Did you just say "white chocolate cheesecake"? I've been drinking so I may have read that wrong! If you did - can you come to my housewarming party?! x

buffalodick said...

Snowniece- Without being mean, I'm pretty sure I saw some escaped lab experiments today. Mutants are among us, and apparently like to eat meat!
Aims!- Long time no hear! What you really have to have with the White Chocolate cheesecake is the rasberry Chambourd sauce I put on it...

Christo Gonzales said...

wow buffalo those cakes sound amazing... you have got to get going on the picture posting

Mona said...

you make it all sound so easy!

just in a paragraph!! :)

Akelamalu said...

I followed a link from Mike's Homefront and just have to ask Creme de Menthe Cheesecake? Is that for real?
Love your description of the folk at the market. LOL

buffalodick said...

DogB- Put in another tech request to local techie kid(youngest son!) to come over and make me learn to post pictures!
Mona- Years ago, I became a believer in what I call "The Building Blocks of Cooking". I learned to make literally any flavor cheesecake you want from one basic recipe!
Akelamalu- Welcome to the blog! My Creme de Menthe cheesecake has a chocolate flavored graham cracker crust, a minty, green tinted cheescake, topped with a solid layer of peppermint infused chocolate bark. Refreshing, with two known flavor friends(mint & chocolate!)it is always a popular dessert, even though a bit retro!

pinknest said...

you're so busy busy. i would NOT have been able to wait 25 minutes in that meat counter line! well, maybe i would've, but not without fuming internally.

buffalodick said...

Pink- I bet you would have enjoyed the wait with pleasant banter, discussing the offerings as well as the mixed bag of shoppers and what they buy! You can't live in NYC and not people watch!

Jen said...

mmm chocolate cheese cake! Can I have a piece?

Mona said...

AH! exactly the word that came to my mind when I was reading this>... BLOCK!!!

Akelamalu said...

The creme de menthe cheesecake sounds scrumptious!
Thanks for dropping by my blog, I'll be back to read more. :)